Axis Capital Group, a human resource company based in Ghana knows that many of the employees’ issue and/or happiness depend on the boss. It really matters what and how the boss behave.
Looking at the term itself, “Boss” is someone who is higher than you in rank in the office. How can you, a mere employee, be able to manage your boss and start a relationship with him? Well, there are different types of bosses that you might encounter in our lifetime.
Managing your boss does not instantly mean that you have to undermine him; that you literally have to manage him although you have to do a lot of adjustments to please him. Sometimes, admit it or not, we may bend some of our own principles just to get along with the boss.
1. The Martyr
- This kind of boss will do anything for the company even to the extent of coming to work in the midst of a super typhoon while he has pneumonia or walking 30 minutes to the office every day after his car had an accident and he has to amputate both of his legs (well, he is somehow like that).
- How to Deal with him: Listen to him and you may get some advice from him. You can’t keep him from the things that he wants to do with the company. The loyalty of this kind of his boss is obviously to the company so make sure not to talk anything against or you have complaints about the company to him. If you want to point out something negative, try the art of proper timing.
2. The Screamer
- This type of boss usually has issues:
1. either he just wants to be heard enough to get his way;
2. He gets more pressure and stress by pleasing the higher authority and managing the subordinates or;
3. He is deaf.
- How to Deal with Him: Whatever his issues may be, you just have to avoid being shouted at and make sure to get your job done. If you finally get the chance to earn his respect, maybe you should try asking him to lower down his voice. He may not know that he is already raising it.
3. The Manipulator
- He takes great pride in waving his power and authority around, not just in office but sometimes also at home. A power-brandishing boss loves wearing the mask of a boss, and believes that bosses are the highest-regarded professionals in the world. He is overtly possessive of his post and always wants to give an impression that he is completely in control of the situation, even when in reality he is not.
- How to Deal with Him: This type of boss gives significance to discipline, rather than performance, and is of the opinion that employees should be self-disciplined. His motto is that with discipline, employees will eventually perform. Even if you find such bosses to be lenient, you should not break the rules too often; and even if you do so, make sure that you don’t bring it to his notice. Show him respect him, and make him feel that he is the big boss and you will be able to go about your duties undisturbed.
4. The Clueless
- A friend of mine from Jakarta, Indonesia experienced this kind of boss on his first job. Being clueless himself, they had somehow clicked.
- This type of boss is not dumb, he is just uneducated. Perhaps he just started with the company or is unfamiliar with the technology or has been put in that position because the administration has no choice. It doesn’t mean that he is fraud. He just needs more time to adjust and learn
- How to Deal with Him: suggestions are often appreciated by this kind of bosses and if you can help him, you can easily befriend him
5. The Perfect
- This kind of boss are mostly motivators; the ones who can juggle the pressures of the company, administrative tasks and managing employees. You wouldn’t have any problems in dealing with him in the workplace.